eGrading Step-by-Step Instructions
Assigning Letter Grades in D2L & Importing into PAWS
Moving grades automatically from D2L to PAWS can save instructors time and effort. There are five basic steps:
- Create a grade scheme in D2L to translate percentage scores to letter grades.
- Apply the grade scheme to your D2L final grades.
- Transfer final calculated grade to final adjusted grade.
- Export the letter grades out of D2L.
- Import the letter grades into PAWS for review and final approval. After importing the grades into PAWS, you must still review and approve final grades in PAWS, as always. More information about PAWS and grading is available at the Registrar’s Office instructor grading website.
Suggestions and Precautions
- Start early so that you have plenty of time to adjust your grade scheme or get help in case something goes wrong
- As a safety precaution, export your entire gradebook from D2L to an excel file on your desktop before you begin.
- If you’ve followed all the steps, but things don’t seem right, check out our instructions for Troubleshooting eGrading.
- If you need assistance, contact CETL.
Step 1. Create a grade scheme in D2L
- From your course homepage, click Grades on the main navigation bar.
- Click Schemes and then New Scheme.
- Type a Name for your grade scheme.
- Type letter grades in the Symbol column of the Ranges table; begin with “F” in row 1.
- Type “D-” and “D” in the next two rows, and fill in the corresponding percentages.
- Click Save.
- To add the rows for the remaining letter grade symbols, type the desired number of fieldsin the Add Ranges box and click the green + sign (see table below).
- Fill in the remaining letter grades and percentages.
[Note: D2L does not round to the nearest integer. Thus, if you would like a grade of 89.5 through 89.9 to calculate as an A-, you would need the starting percentage range for an A- to be 89.5.]
- Click Save when done.
Step 2. Apply grade scheme to D2L final grades
- Click Grades, then Manage Grades.
- Click on the title of the Final Adjusted Grade item at the bottom of the list.
- Under “Grading,” use the drop-down list to select your grade scheme. Click Save and Close. You should be back in the Manage Grades page. If not, click Grades, then Manage Grades again.
- Click on the drop-down arrow next to Final Adjusted Grade and select Enter Grades (the ruler and checkmark icon).
- In the Final Grades page that appears, click the drop-down arrow next to Final Grades, and select Recalculate All.
Step 3. Transfer Final Calculated Grade to Final Adjusted Grade
The final calculated grade can not be edited, but the final adjusted grade can be. If you want to export final grades to PAWS, you will need to transfer grades from the Final Calculated Grade column to the Final Adjusted Grade column because the Final Adjusted Grades are actually what get released to PAWS.
To transfer the final calculated grade into the final adjusted grade:
- Click on Grades.
- Scroll over to Final Grades and click the drop-down arrow next to Final Adjusted Grade and select Grade All.
- Click drop-down arrow next to Final Grades and select Transfer All.
- You can then edit the Final Adjusted Grade values. Be sure to save.
Suggestions and Precautions
Larger classes are often displayed over multiple pages in the gradebook. In these instances, the above steps must be repeated for each page. Double check to ensure that grades have been calculated for all students.
- It is best to calculate final grades outside peak D2L usage daytime hours. Wait a while and try again or try before 10 a.m. orafter 3 p.m.
- You may want to choose not to display final grades in D2L to students since they will be seeing them in PAWS soon anyway. The delay might be useful in the event that you want to make any last-minute adjustments. If you wish to display the D2L final grades to your students, click on the drop-down arrow next to [Final Grades] and select [Release All].
If you have any problems with the D2L portion of this process, please email the UWM Center for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Step 4. Export letter grades from D2L
Before you begin:
- Check to make sure you have applied your letter grade scheme to the final adjusted grade. To do this, in Grades, click Manage Grades and click on the title of the Final Adjusted Grade item at the bottom of the list. Under “Grading,” ensure that your grade scheme has been selected. Click Save and Close.
- Check to make sure the “Final Grade Released” settings are correct. To do this, in Grades, click Settings (the small link under Edit Course or Logout at the upper right side of the Grades screen) and then click Calculation Options. Under “Final Grade Released” select Adjusted Final Grade. Click Close.
- Click Grades, and then click Export to SIS.
- Click Yes and OK in the popups.
- Look for an e-mail addressed to your UWM email account within 15-20 minutes, signaling that your grades are ready for import into PAWS.
Step 5. Import letter grades into PAWS
Log into PAWS
- Click Self Service.
- Under “Faculty Center,” click on Grade Roster.
- OPTIONAL: If necessary, click Change Class to select the appropriate class –or– click Change Term to select the appropriate term.
- Next, scroll to the bottom of the Grade Roster and click on the button to Import D2L Grades.
- Grades should immediately appear. If grades do not appear, please see our Troubleshooting Guide.
Instructors will need to manually address the following in PAWS:
- Resolve error messages for students in PAWS who are not assigned a grade in D2L.
- For each “F”, add a number from 0-15 to indicate the last week the student attended.
- Assign “I” to students receiving an incomplete and an “S” or “U” to auditing students.
- Note that students enrolled in D2L but not in your PAWS roster will be ignored during grade import.
When finished making manual changes in PAWS, select Approved and submit the grades.
Note: PAWS does not clearly note that grades have been successfully submitted. In order to confirm your grades were submitted successfully, you can log back into PAWS and check the grade listing. If the grade boxes are not editable and the “Approval Status” above the gradebook says “Approved,” then grades have been successfully submitted.
More information about instructor grading at UWM is available at the Registrar’s Office website, “Instructor Grading.”
To print this tutorial, click Ctrl-A to select the document, then click [File] and then [Print]. Choose [Selection,] then [OK] and proceed to print.D2L 10.3 updated December 2014