D2L allows instructors to set up one of three different rating systems for discussions:
- “Up Vote/Down Vote Rating Scheme” allows users to rate posts by giving a plus or minus (or no rating)
- “Up Vote Only Rating Scheme” allows users to rate posts by giving a plus (or no rating)
- “Five-Star Rating Scheme” allows users to rate posts by giving 1 through 5 stars (or no rating)
In order to set up a rating system for your discussion topic:
1. Click on [Discussions] in the main navigation bar
2. Select [Edit Topic] from the drop-down menu next to the desired topic
3. Choose the rating system from the drop-down list beneath “Rate Posts”
4. Click [Save]
Here are a few additional tips about rating Discussion postings in D2L:
- Ratings are NOT an instructor-only or instructor-to-student activity. Both students and instructors can rate all posts, including their own.
- Students see only the rating *they* awarded to a post. Students can NOT see the *average* rating of any post, nor can they see the ratings awarded by others to posts they have authored.
- Turning off the ratings functionality does not wipe out the ratings themselves. When this feature is toggled off and then on again, the previously-entered ratings are restored.