The “Must Post First” feature in D2L allows instructors to require students to post to a discussion topic before reading any other posts, which is useful if you don’t want students’ first responses to be affected by what others have written.
1. Click on [Discussions] in the main navigation bar
2. Click on the [New] drop-down menu button
3. Choose “Forum” or “Topic” from the drop-down list (Note: this restriction can be toggled at the forum or the topic level)
4. Choose a forum from the forum drop-down list (if adding a topic)
5. Enter a title in the title box
6. Scroll down to “Options”
7. Check the box next to “Users must start a thread before they can read and reply to other threads in each topic”
8. Click [Save and Close] at the bottom of the page
Students will now need to post to the topic before being able to see any other responses in the forum.