This tutorial will show you how to upload a video to YouTube using the Unlisted feature and embed the video in a D2L ePortfolio Presentation. The Unlisted feature in YouTube prevent the video from being seen by the general public. If you embed the Unlisted video in in a D2L ePortfolio Presentation, only the instructor (or those you’ve allowed to see your Presentation) can see the video!
Before you begin, you must:
- Have a YouTube account. If you do not have a YouTube account, you can sign-up for one here: https://accounts.google.com/SignUp?service=youtube
- Have desktop access to a video file the is supported by YouTube. For a list of supported video file formats see: http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/static.py?hl=en&ts=2888402&page=ts.cs
You may consider printing this tutorial and referencing it as you work. A printable PDF version of this tutorial can be found here: https://db.tt/eXwAhIg8
- Go to https://www.youtube.com/ and click the [Sign In] button.
- Once logged-in, click the [Upload] button.
Step #3 – OPTIONAL
If your video is over 15 minutes, you will need to verify your YouTube account is active (by providing YouTube with a mobile number) before you can upload your video.
- If you are uploading a video that is over 15 minutes and you see the “Upload HD videos in various formats up to 15 minutes” message, click the [Increase your limit] link.
Step #3b – OPTIONAL
- To verify your YouTube account, select [Voice call] or [SMS].
- Enter your phone number.
- Click [Submit].
YouTube will either call or text you a verification number. Place this number in the box when prompted and continue to the next step.
- To upload your video, click the [Upload] button.
- Browse to the location on your computer where you have stored your video file. Select the file.
- Click [Open].
- The video file will begin uploading. You can monitor the progress in the progress bar.
- Enter a [Title] for your video.
- Pull down the arrow under [Privacy Settings].
- Select [Unlisted].
- Pull down the arrow under [Category].
- Select the appropriate category. Most often this is [Education].
- Once the file has been uploaded, YouTube will generate a link to the video. Click this link to view the video and obtain the Embed Code necessary for D2L.
- OPTIONAL – You may also click the [Video Manager] if you’d like to browse for your video or select a different video.
Step #9b OPTIONAL – additional methods for finding your video
- You can also find your video under [Videos] in your account.
- Click the title to view the video and obtain the Embed Code necessary for D2L.