This tutorial will show you how to upload and embed a video (or audio file) into a Discussion Post using the My Media tool.
You may consider printing this tutorial and referencing it as you work. A printable PDF version of this tutorial can be found here: https://db.tt/Lxcmj3wa
Before you begin, you must:
- For STUDENT access to the My Media tool: If you do not see your course under the [MCStdnt] role (see Step #1 – Option #2), your instructor has not provided access to the tool.
- A video (or audio file) that you have created that is LESS THAN 2GB file size (For best results with video, it is recommend that you prepare the video at a resolution of 1280×720 using the H.264 video codec at about 4000 kbps).
Instructors should see the following tutorial on providing student access to the My Media Tool: http://uwmltc.org/?p=7860
Step #1 – Option #1 (preferred method)
- Log in to D2L (http://d2l.uwm.edu). Pull-down the [Select a course] menu, and select your course.
Step #1 – Option #2
- Log in to D2L (http://d2l.uwm.edu). If you choose to find your course under the [My Courses] list, click the [MCStdnt] button next to [Role:].
- Once you are in your course site, click on [Discussions] in the upper navigation bar.
- Click on the appropriate Discussion topic or this assignment.
- Click the [Start New Thread] button.
- In the editor, click the small icon that looks like a play, stop, rewind, and fast forward button, called [Insert Stuff].
- A new window will pop up. Click the button [My Media].
- To embed a video (or audio file) that you have ALREADY uploaded, identify the media from the list and click the title. Skip to Step #9.
- To upload a NEW video (or audio file), pull down the [Add New] menu and click [Media Upload]. Continue to Step #7.
- Click [Choose a File to Upload]. Browse to the location on your computer where you have saved your file and select the file.
- Enter a [Title] and an optional [Description] for the media asset.
- Click [Next].
- You will see a preview of your video (or audio file).
- Click the [Insert] button.
- Once you return to the [New Message Details] page, make sure that you have entered a [Subject] for your post.
- You can add additional text to the [Message], if desired.
- Click [Post].
Click on your discussion post to see your media. You (and your peers) can control the play and volume from here.