This tutorial shows instructors how to provide students with access to the My Media tool for video and audio file uploads in D2L. You may consider printing this tutorial and referencing it as you work. A printable PDF version of this tutorial can be found here: https://db.tt/yNhYz4bu
In order to control the amount and purpose of video and audio files uploaded by students, instructors must choose to provide access to My Media for course related media. In order to access the My Media features, your students will need to be enrolled in your D2L course site differently than in other courses. Once logged into D2L in the [Instructor] role, you will need to change the enrollment of your students from [Student] to [MCStdnt]. To do this, follow the steps below.
Remember that after you have changed student enrollment, students will access your course under a different tab than other courses. See the heading “Student access option #1” and “Student access option #2” of this tutorial for more information. It’s a good idea to warn your students in advance that a change to course access will occur. Here is a special tutorial that you can provide for your students showing them how to access your course site once they have been changed to the MCStdnt role: http://uwmltc.org/?p=11363
You may also wish to distribute one of both of the following tutorials to your students. The first tutorial shows your students how to upload a video (or audio file) to a D2L Discussion Post using the My Media tool: http://uwmltc.org/?p=7897. The second will show your students how to upload a video (or audio file) to a D2L ePortfolio Presentation using the My Media tool: http://uwmltc.org/?p=7851. Again, feel free to distribute this directly to your students.
- From your D2L course site, click [Classlist] on your navigation bar.
- Click on [Students] tab.
- Click the top checkbox to select all student names.
- Click the [Enrollment] button (looks like a blue rolodex card).
- Under [Change Enrollment Setting], use the dropdown menu after [Set all roles to:].
- Select [MCStdnt].
- Click [Set all roles].
- Click [Save].
Student access option #1
After you have changed student enrollment, students will access your course under a different tab than other courses.
- If students choose to find your course under the [My Courses] list, they will click the [MCStdnt] button next to [Role:].
Student access option #2 (preferred)
- To eliminate confusion, encourage students to us the [Select a course] pull-down menu which list all course regarless of enrollment type.