This tutorial will show you how to upload and embed a video into a D2L’s ePortfolio Presentation.
You may consider printing this tutorial and referencing it as you work. A printable PDF version of this tutorial can be found here: https://db.tt/7VWROFDC
Before you begin, you must have:
- Access to the My Media tool. If you do not see your course under the [MCStdnt] role (see Step #1 – Option #2), your instructor has not provided access to the tool.
- A basic ePortfolio Presentation available to you in your ePortfolio.
- A video (or audio file) that you have created that is LESS THAN 2GB file size (For best results with video, it is recommend that you prepare the video at a resolution of 1280×720 using the H.264 video codec at about 4000 kbps).
Instructors should see the following tutorial on providing student access to the My Media Tool: http://uwmltc.org/?p=7860
Step #1 – Option #1 (preferred method)
- Log in to D2L (http://d2l.uwm.edu). Pull-down the [Select a course] menu, and select your course.
Step #1 – Option #2
- Log in to D2L (http://d2l.uwm.edu). If you choose to find your course under the [My Courses] list, click the [MCStdnt] button next to [Role:].
To access D2L’s ePortfolio, log in to D2L (http://d2l.uwm.edu) using your ePanther ID and password. Go to your D2L course site by clicking on the name of your course. Once you are in our course, click on [ePortfolio] in the upper navigation bar.
Once you have entered your ePortfolio, click [My Items] in the top navigation area.
- Identify the Presentation in which you’d like to embed the video or audio file. Note: Presentations have icons that looks like a little poster board and easle.
- Click the [Down arrow] to the right.
- Select [Edit].
Click on [Content/Layout].
Select the page on which you’d like to embed your video (or audio file) by clicking the blue title.
Click [Add Component].
- Click [Text area].
- In the [Add Content] window, enter an [Area Name] that references the video (or audio file) title.
- In the editor, click the small icon that looks like a play, stop, rewind, and fast forward button, called [Insert Stuff].
- A new window will pop up. Click the button [My Media].
- To embed a video (or audio file) that you have ALREADY uploaded, identify the media from the list and click the title. Skip to Step #12.
- To upload a NEW video (or audio file), pull down the [Add New] menu and click [Media Upload]. Continue to Step #10.
- Click [Choose a File to Upload]. Browse to the location on your computer where you have saved your file and select the file.
- Enter a [Title] and an optional [Description] for the media asset.
- Click [Next].
- You will see a preview of your video (or audio file).
- Click [Insert].
- Once you return to the the [Add Content] window, make sure that you have entered a [Title].
- Click [Save].
To preview your video (or audio file) inside your ePortfolio, click [View Presentation].
You should see the media in your ePortfolio Presentation. You (and your eP viewers) can control the play and volume from here.