- D2L does NOT have a “sent mail” folder, so we recommend you also send yourself a copy!
If you attempt to send an email message to a large number of recipients from within the D2L, the message may not be sent to all of the recipients. There is a limit of 4100 characters for the string of email addresses (strung together with a semicolon separator) in each of the “To:”, “Cc:”, and “Bcc:” fields in the email composer interface. This typically imposes a limit of 100 to 200 recipients per message sent, depending upon the lengths of the email addresses.
- Workaround: Send the email message to only one page of students at a time by checking “Select all rows” and then selecting the “E-mail selected users in a new window on this page” icon.
Emails with many recipients in the “to” field may get caught in Spam filters and not be delivered. We recommend sending the email with your OWN address in the “to” field, and putting large numbers of recipients in the “bcc” field. Here’s how:
Emailing from the Classlist
NOTE: It is not possible to send to “Bcc” in this method.
- Click on [Classlist] in the main navigation bar
- Check the box next to the student’s name or select the box at the top to select all the students in the course.
- Click on [Email] above the box that contains the user names. *The icon looks like an envelope with a blue star in the corner.*
4. In the popup “Compose New Message” window, type the subject of the email in the [Subject:] text box.
5. Type the body of your email in the [Message:] text box
6. OPTIONAL: Click [Browse] or [Choose File] to include a file as an attachment. (a. A second popup window will appear. b. Find the desired file and select by clicking on it. c. The second popup window will disappear.)
7. Click on [Send]