This tutorial will show you how to embed a YouTube video in a D2L’s ePortfolio Presentation.
Before you begin, you must have:
- A basic ePortfolio Presentation created or made available to you. If you need to create an ePortfolio Presentations see: http://uwmltc.org/?p=8183
- Web access to a YouTube video. If you need to upload a YouTube video for embedding in your ePortfolio, see: http://uwmltc.org/?p=8217
You may consider printing this tutorial and referencing it as you work. A printable PDF version of this tutorial can be found here: https://db.tt/OVppV89s
Navigate to the YouTube video you’d like to include in your ePortfolio:
- Click the [Share] button at the bottom of your video.
- Click the [Embed] button.
- UNCHECK the box in front of [Show suggested videos when the video finishes].
- CHECK the box in front of [Use old embed code].
- Click into the box with the embed code to highlight the text. Copy the text by hitting [CTRL+C] on your PC keyboard or [Command+C] on your Mac keyboard.
To access D2L’s ePortfolio, log in to D2L (http://d2l.uwm.edu) using your ePanther ID and password. Go to your D2L course site by clicking on the name of your course. Once you are in our course, click on [ePortfolio] in the upper navigation bar.
Once you have entered your ePortfolio, click [My Items] in the top navigation area.
- Identify the Presentation you’d like to embed the YouTube video into. Note: Presentations have icons that looks like a little poster board and easle.
- Click the [Down arrow] to the right.
- Select [Edit].
- Click on [Content/Layout].
- Select the page on which you’d like to embed your video by clicking the blue title.
- Click [Add Component].
- Click [Text area].
- In the [Add Content] window, enter an [Area Name] that references the video title.
- In the editor, click the small icon that looks like a play, stop, rewind, and fast forward button, called [Insert Stuff].
- A new window will pop up. Click the button [Enter Embed Code].
- Paste the embed code that you copied from Step #1 into the [Embed code:] window.
- Click [Next].
You will see a preview of your presentation in the window.
- Click the [Insert] button.
- Once you return to the the [Add Content] window, click [Save].
- To preview your movie, click [View Presentation].
You should see the video in your ePortfolio Presentation. You (and your eP viewers) can control the play and volume from here.