SlideBoom creates narrated presentations which can be viewed in Desire2Learn. Slideboom is a web-based tool that converts Microsoft PowerPoint files (including recorded audio) to a format (Flash) that is ideal for sharing presentations over the web.
This tutorial is written for PC users using the Office 2010 version of PowerPoint and the Windows 7 Operating System. If you are running a different OS or a different version of Office, you can use this tutorial; however the screenshots may look slightly different.
Before you begin:
- In order to create narrated PowerPoint presentations using Slideboom, you will need to setup a free account at: https://www.slideboom.com/register (do not upload files as a Guest)
- It is highly recommended that you use microphone headset for recording your voice. This will assure that the microphone remains at a fixed distance, creating a consistent volume level throughout the recording process. You can check out a USB microphone headset using your student ePanther ID card for 4 hours from the UWM Media Library located in the West Wing, Lower Level (http://www4.uwm.edu/Library/media/). Or you can purchase a micrphone headset. The Logitech® Stereo Headset H390: http://bit.ly/p670G3 is recommended; however, any noise-cancelling, USB-connected microphone headset should suffice.
- You must have access to your completed PowerPoint presentation (you’ll need the .pptx file).
For additional information and frequently asked questions about recording narration in PowerPoint, see: http://uwmltc.org/?p=5740
You may consider printing this tutorial and referencing it as you work. A printable PDF version of this tutorial can be found here: https://db.tt/oJEC6Wb9
Ensure that your microphone headset is plugged into your computer. Open Microsoft® PowerPoint® 2010 (you should be using Windows 7 as your operating system).
- Under the [Slide Show] menu.
- Select [Record Slide Show].
- When you are ready to begin speaking, click [Start Recording].
- The first slide of your presentation will appear and you can start to record your narration. You’ll notice a progress bar on the top left side of your window. This will display the number of seconds elapsed in the current slide and in the total presentation.
- When you have completed the narration on each slide, click the forward arrow button on the progress bar, or space bar, to advance to the next slide.
When you have finished narrating all your slides, hit the [Esc] key (escape) on your keyboard to end the recording process.
Step #4 (optional)
- If you want to re-record a single slide, ensure that you are in the Normal view. Click on the slide image to select the slide.
- Under the [Slide Show] menu, pull down the tab below the [Record Slide Show] button and select [Start from Current Slide].
When you have finished re-recording the slide, hit the escape key to terminate the recording process and prevent re-recording the next slide.
- Go to https://www.slideboom.com/ and click [Sign In]. NOTE: If you have NOT setup a free Slideboom account (do not upload files as a Guest), click [Register] or go to: https://www.slideboom.com/register
- Enter your Slideboom username and password.
- Click [Sign In].
- Click [Upload].
- Click [Browse] and navigate to the location on your computer where you have stored the PowerPoint (.ppt) file for your presentation. Select the file.
- Click [Upload].
- OPTIONAL: You may change the name of the presentation and add a description.
- You must select a [Topic]. Most instructors choose [Education].
- Make sure that [Anyone can view my presentation] and [Allow embedding this presentation at other sites] are selected.
- Click [Submit].
Your presentation file will begin uploading. You can monitor the progress in the progress bar.
- Once uploaded, click [View Presentation].
Once you are viewing your presentation, you can obtain the “Embed Code” necessary for distributing the presentation from D2L:
- Click [Embed].
- Select the text (code) below [Embed code:] and copy by hitting [CTRL+C] on your PC keyboard or [Command+C] on your Mac keyboard.
Once the Slideboom embed code is copied to your clipboard, you can paste the code into a Content item in D2L using the instructions below:
- Log in to D2L (http://d2l.uwm.edu) and enter your course site. Once you are in your course site, click on [Discussions] in the upper navigation bar.
- Click on the appropriate Discussion topic for this assignment.
- Click the [Start a New Thread] button.
- In the editor, click on the [Advanced] tab. Click the small icon that looks like a play, stop, rewind, and fast forward button, called [Insert Stuff].
- A new window will pop up. Click the button [Enter Embed Code].
- Paste the embed code that you copied from Step #11 into the [Embed code:] window.
- Click [Next].
You will see a preview of your presentation in the window.
- Click the [Insert] button.
- Once you return to the [New Message Details] page, enter a title for your post.
- Click [Post].
You should see the presentation in your discussion post. You (and your peers) can control the play and volume from here.