This tutorial will show you how to upload a video to YouTube using the Unlisted feature and embed the video in a D2L Dropbox folder. The Unlisted feature in YouTube prevent the video from being seen by the general public. If you embed the Unlisted video in in a D2L Dropbox folder, only the instructor for your course can see the video!
Before you begin, you must:
- Have a YouTube account. If you do not have a YouTube account, you can sign-up for one here: https://accounts.google.com/SignUp?service=youtube
- Have desktop access to a video file the is supported by YouTube. For a list of supported video file formats see: http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/static.py?hl=en&ts=2888402&page=ts.cs
- Have access to a supplementary “upload” file. You must attach a file in order to upload to the Dropbox. Your instructor should have assigned a specific file to upload. This may be the original video file you will uploaded to YouTube, or it could be a written analysis or critique of the video. If no “upload” file is assigned, contact your instructor.
You may consider printing this tutorial and referencing it as you work. A printable PDF version of this tutorial can be found here: https://db.tt/4NTm3nk6
- Go to https://www.youtube.com/ and click the [Sign In] button.
- Once logged-in, click the [Upload] button.
Step #3 – OPTIONAL
If your video is over 15 minutes, you will need to verify your YouTube account is active (by providing YouTube with a mobile number) before you can upload your video.
- If you are uploading a video that is over 15 minutes and you see the “Upload HD videos in various formats up to 15 minutes” message, click the [Increase your limit] link.
Step #3b – OPTIONAL
- To verify your YouTube account, select [Voice call] or [SMS].
- Enter your phone number.
- Click [Submit].
YouTube will either call or text you a verification number. Place this number in the box when prompted and continue to the next step.
- To upload your video, click the [Upload] button.
- Browse to the location on your computer where you have stored your video file. Select the file.
- Click [Open].
- The video file will begin uploading. You can monitor the progress in the progress bar.
- Enter a [Title] for your video.
- Pull down the arrow under [Privacy Settings].
- Select [Unlisted].
- Pull down the arrow under [Category].
- Select the appropriate category. Most often this is [Education].
- Once the file has been uploaded, YouTube will generate a link to the video. Click this link to view the video and obtain the Embed Code necessary for D2L.
- OPTIONAL – You may also click the [Video Manager] if you’d like to browse for your video or select a different video.
Step #9b OPTIONAL – additional methods for finding your video
- You can also find your video under [Videos] in your account.
- Click the title to view the video and obtain the Embed Code necessary for D2L.
Once you are are viewing your video, you can obtain the Embed Code necessary for D2L:
- Click the [Share] button at the bottom of your video.
- Click the [Embed] button.
- UNCHECK the box in front of [Show suggested videos when the video finishes].
- Click into the box with the embed code to highlight the text. Copy the text by hitting [CTRL+C] on your PC keyboard or [Command+C] on your Mac keyboard.
Once the YouTube embed code is copied to your clipboard, you can paste the code into a Dropbox folder in D2L using the instructions below:
- Login to D2L at http://d2l.uwm.edu/, enter your course site and click [Discussions].
- Click the blue hotlinked [title] for the video project as assigned by your instructor.
In order to submit to the Dropbox, you MUST attach a file. Ideally, your instructor will have assigned a specific file to upload. This may be the original video file you uploaded to YouTube, or it could be a written analysis or critique of the video.
- To attach a file to the Dropbox folder, click [Add a File].
- If you are uploading the file from your computer, click [My Computer].
- Click the [Browse…] button.
- Browse to the location on your computer where you have stored your file for upload. Select the file.
- Click [Open].
- Once the file has been identified, click [Upload].
- To embed your YouTube video, click the [Show Editor] button.
- In the HTML editorlick the [Insert Stuff] button.
- Click the [Enter Embed Code] tab.
- Paste the text you copied from YouTube by hitting [CTRL+V] on your PC keyboard or [Command+V] on your Mac keyboard.
- Click [Next].
- You will see a preview of your video in the window.
- Click the [Insert] button.
- Once you return to the [Submit File] window, select [Submit].
- You should see your video in the window. You can click the play button to preview the video submission.
- When you are finished, click [Done].