This tutorial will show you how to upload a video to YouTube using the Unlisted feature and embed the video in your D2L course site. The Unlisted feature in YouTube prevent the video from being seen by the general public. If you embed the Unlisted video in your D2L course site, only the students in your course can see the video!
Before you begin, you must:
- Be enrolled in your D2L course site as an [Instructor].
- Have a YouTube account. If you do not have a YouTube account, you can sign-up for one here: https://accounts.google.com/SignUp?service=youtube
- Have access to a video file the is supported by YouTube. for a list of supported video file formats see: http://support.google.com/youtube/bin/static.py?hl=en&ts=2888402&page=ts.cs
- Go to https://www.youtube.com/ and click the [Sign In] button.
- Once logged-in, click the [Upload] button.
Step #3 – OPTIONAL
If your video is over 15 minutes, you will need to verify your YouTube account is active (by providing YouTube with a mobile number) before you can upload your video.
- If you are uploading a video that is over 15 minutes and you see the “Upload HD videos in various formats up to 15 minutes” message, click the [Increase your limit] link.
Step #3b – OPTIONAL
- To verify your YouTube account, select [Voice call] or [SMS].
- Enter your phone number.
- Click [Submit].
YouTube will either call or text you a verification number. Place this number in the box when prompted and continue to the next step.
- To upload your video, click the [Upload] button.
- Browse to the location on your computer where you have stored your video file. Select the file.
- Click [Open].
- The video file will begin uploading. You can monitor the progress in the progress bar.
- Enter a [Title] for your video.
- Pull down the arrow under [Privacy Settings].
- Select [Unlisted].
- Pull down the arrow under [Category].
- Select the appropriate category. Most often this is [Education].
- Once the file has been uploaded, YouTube will generate a link to the video. Click this link to view the video and obtain the Embed Code necessary for D2L.
- OPTIONAL – You may also click the [Video Manager] if you’d like to browse for your video or select a different video.
Step #9b OPTIONAL – additional methods for finding your video
- You can also find your video under [Videos] in your account.
- Click the title to view the video and obtain the Embed Code necessary for D2L.
Once you are are viewing your video, you can obtain the Embed Code necessary for D2L:
- Click the [Share] button at the bottom of your video.
- Click the [Embed] button.
- UNCHECK the box in front of [Show suggested videos when the video finishes].
- Click into the box with the embed code to highlight the text. Copy the text by hitting [CTRL+C] on your PC keyboard or [Command+C] on your Mac keyboard.
Once the YouTube embed code is copied to your clipboard, you can paste the code into a Content item in D2L using the instructions below:
- Login to D2L at http://d2l.uwm.edu/, enter your course site and click [Content].
Option #1 – if you have already created the Module in which you’d like to place your video, click [Table of Contents] Identify the Module title from the list of Modules.
Option #2 – if you need to create a new Module in which you’ll place your video, click [Add a module…]. Provide a title for the Module.
- Pull down the menu under [New].
- Select [Create a File].
- Provide a [Title] for your video.
- In the HTML editor, click the [Insert Stuff] button.
- Click the [Enter Embed Code] tab.
- Paste the text you copied from YouTube in Step #10 by hitting [CTRL+V] on your PC keyboard or [Command+V] on your Mac keyboard.
- Click [Next].
- You will see a preview of your video in the window.
- Click the [Insert] button.
- Once you return to the [Create a File] window, select [Publish].
You should see your video in the window. You can test to make sure the video is embedded properly.