In D2L, you can create a profile. Profiles can be useful for instructors and students for the following reasons:
- As instructors or students, profiles assist in creating a community-like feeling within the learning management system.
- Profiles serve as a “one stop shop” for members of a class to create and experience a feeling of familiarity.
- Members of a class can easily display their personal/professional profiles (i.e., Facebook, Twitter) that are outside D2L, but might be of interested to other participants.
- Profiles provide a location in which members of a class (particularly for online classes) can identify similarities/differences between themselves and others, which can provide topics of conversation that help the development of potential relationships.
T0 create a profile:
1. Click the drop down arrow next to your name.
2. Choose “Profile”
3. Once in the “Edit my User Profile” window you can customize your profile with information you wish to make public. For instance, you can add links to your social networking profiles (i.e., Facebook). In doing so, others are allowed to easily view your social media profile information, as well as request friendship on Facebook, follow you on Twitter, and add you to their Google and/or LinkedIn networks.
D2L 10.1 – January 2014