D2L allows specific topics in the Discussions section to be limited to particular groups. For example, instructors could create a discussion topic allowing for members of a group to discuss work related to a group research project. Each group has their own version of the topic, and are only able to read messages by fellow group members.
The steps below explain how to create group restricted topics. However, make sure that you have already created groups (see the “Creating Small Groups” section of this tutorial) prior to continuing.
- Navigate to Discussions.
- Click the blue New button, and select Topic from the drop-down menu.
- Under Forum, select the forum you wish the new topic to placed in from the drop-down menu.
- Under the subheading “Topic Type,” select “Group or section topic, everyone can access this topic but students only see threads from their own group or section.”
- Select the group category from the “Group or Section Category” drop-down menu.
- Enter a name for the topic.
- Under the subheading Options, optionally select a choice to apply to this topic.
- In the Visibility section under the heading Availability, you may optionally specify when the topic is visible to students.
- In the “Locking Options” section under the heading Availability, you may optionally specify when the topic is accessible to students.
- Click “Save and Close.”
D2L 10.6, August 2017