About CaptureSpace Lite:
CaptureSpace Lite is a screen, webcam, and audio recorder that is comparable to other software like TechSmith’s Camtasia or Telestream’s Screenflow. Content creators can capture multi-stream webcam and audio inputs which are synchronized with a PowerPoint presentation or screen capture. Once presentations are created, they can be automatically published and viewed through any D2L tool with an HTML Editor (Content, News, Discussion, Quizzes, Dropbox).
The advantage of CaptureSpace Lite is it’s ease of use and streamlined integration with D2L. The disadvantage is it’s limited editing capabilities. While you can trim the beginning and end, or cut out a section in the middle of a recorded presentation, you can’t re-record sections of the presentation. CaptureSpace Lite is ideal for short, informal recordings that provide students with logistical information about the course, module overviews, project descriptions, software or website tutorials, or feedback on assignments. In short, recordings that can be completed in one "take" without the need for extensive editing.
By default, CaptureSpace Lite in not available to students, however, instructors can *choose* to provide access to CaptureSpace Lite for course related media. Instructors can give students access to CaptureSpace Lite, by following these instructions: http://uwmltc.org/?p=7860
What you will learn in this tutorial:
This tutorial will show you how to install the CaptureSpace Lite Desktop Recorder application. You’ll find steps written for installation on a Mac and steps for installation on a PC using Firefox as the browser. The screenshots for other browsers may look different, but are similar enough that you should be able to identify the correct alternative options. When completing this tutorial, please choose the appropriate operating system for your computer. Once you’ve completed this tutorial, you should not need to repeat these steps when creating recorded presentations. The tutorial for creating a screen capture or narrated PowerPoint using the CaptureSpace Lite tool in D2L, can be found here: http://uwmltc.org/?p=13291 and as a link at the end of this tutorial.
Before you begin:
You must have CaptureSpace Lite added to your D2L course Navigation Bar. If you DO NOT see CaptureSpace Lite on your Navigation Bar and you are:
- an instructor, please follow the steps in this tutorial: http://uwmltc.org/?p=13285
- a student, your instructor has not provided access to the tool and you should contact them for assistance.
You may wish to print this tutorial and referencing it as you work. A printable PDF version of this tutorial can be found here: http://bit.ly/2gOTr3n
Installation for Mac – Step #3
- When prompted, drag [Kaltura CaptureSpace Desktop Recorder] to the [Applications] folder.
Installation for Mac – Step #4
Return to your D2L course site, and click the [CaptureSpace Lite] navigation item again.
Installation for Mac – Step #5
- If you receive a prompt "Are you sure you want to open it?" select [Open].
Installation for Mac – Step #6
- When CaptureSpace Lite opens for the first time, you may be prompted to select the correct application. If so, click [Choose an Application].
- Navigate to the [Applications] folder and select [Kaltura CaptureSpace Desktop Recorder].
- Click [Open] to proceed.
- Once returned to the "Launch application" screen, click [OK].
Installation for Mac – Step #6 (optional)
- Once open, you can keep the application to your Dock,. To do this, RIGHT click the icon for Kaltura CaptureSpace Desktop Recorder.
- Select [Option], and [Keep in Dock].
Installation for Mac – Step #7 (optional)
- In future, when you want to create a presentation, you can launch CaptureSpace Lite from your computer rather than logging into D2L to access the tool.
Installation for PC – Step #4
- Once open, you can pin the application to your Taskbar. To do this, RIGHT click the icon for Kaltura CaptureSpace Desktop Recorder.
- Select [Pin to Taskbar].
In future, when you want to create a presentation, you can launch CaptureSpace Lite from your computer rather than logging into D2L to access the tool.
Installation for PC – Step #5
- If you wish to launch CaptureSpace Lite from your computer rather than logging into D2L to access the tool, you can also find the Kaltura CaptureSpace Desktop Recorder tool in the Start menu under [Kaltura].
IMPORTANT: NEXT STEPS
Once you’ve completed this tutorial, you will not need to repeat these steps when creating recorded presentations. However, you will need to complete the tutorial for creating a screen capture or narrated PowerPoint using the CaptureSpace Lite tool in D2L, which can be found here: http://uwmltc.org/?p=13291