About CaptureSpace Lite:
CaptureSpace Lite is a screen, webcam, and audio recorder that is comparable to other software like TechSmith’s Camtasia or Telestream’s Screenflow. Content creators can capture multi-stream webcam and audio inputs which are synchronized with a PowerPoint presentation or screen capture. Once presentations are created, they can be automatically published and viewed through any D2L tool with an HTML Editor (Content, News, Discussion, Quizzes, Dropbox).
The advantage of CaptureSpace Lite is it’s ease of use and streamlined integration with D2L. The disadvantage is it’s limited editing capabilities. While you can trim the beginning and end, or cut out a section in the middle of a recorded presentation, you can’t re-record sections of the presentation. CaptureSpace Lite is ideal for short, informal recordings that provide students with logistical information about the course, module overviews, project descriptions, software or website tutorials, or feedback on assignments. In short, recordings that can be completed in one "take" without the need for extensive editing.
By default, CaptureSpace Lite in not available to students, however, instructors can *choose* to provide access to CaptureSpace Lite for course related media. Instructors can give students access to CaptureSpace Lite, by following these instructions: http://uwmltc.org/?p=7860
What you will learn in this tutorial:
This tutorial will show you how to add CaptureSpace Lite on your course Navigation Bar. Once you’ve completed this tutorial, you will not need to repeat these steps when creating recorded presentations. However, you will need to complete the tutorial for installing CaptureSpace Lite Desktop Application, which can be found here: http://uwmltc.org/?p=13287 and as a link at the end of this tutorial.
Before you begin:
- You must be enrolled in the course as an “Instructor”
- You may wish to print this tutorial and referencing it as you work. A printable PDF version of this tutorial can be found here: http://bit.ly/2heBhJy
You’ll see the [Course Default] navigation bar under the heading [Navbars].
- Click the pull-down arrow to the right of [Course Default] and select the [Copy] button (icon looks like 2 pieces of paper).
A new navigation bar called [Course Default – Copy] will appear below [Course Default].
- Click on the blue hotlinked title for [Course Default – Copy].
- Enter a [Name] for the new navigation bar that will help you identify it later. You may choose to use "CaptureSpace Lite" or the course name, semester, and year.
- Under [Links] you will see 4 quadrants. These correspond to the Top-Left, Top-Right, Bottom-Left, and Bottom-Right Link Areas of your navigation bar. Identify the area in which you’d like to add the link. You may wish to choose the top-right if you plan to use [Course Media] infrequently or for a specific project.
- Click the [Add Link] button in the area in which you’d like to add the link.
- Scroll through the list and check the box in front of [CaptureSpace Lite].
- Click the [Add] button.
The [Course Media] Link will appear in you chosen Link Area. You may wish to re-order the [Course Media] Link. To do this, click and hold, then drag the [Course Media] Link to achieve the desired order.
- When your new navigation bar is complete, click [Save and Close] button at the bottom of the page.
You’ve created and edited a new navigation bar, but you still need to make it active.
- Click the pull-down arrow to the right of [Active Navbar] and select your new Navigation Bar from the list.
- Click the [Apply] button.
You’ll receive a message that your new navigation bar is "set as active navbar."
- Your new Navigation Bar will show as [Active] and the changes will be evident in the course navigation.
IMPORTANT: NEXT STEPS
Once you’ve completed this tutorial, you should not need to repeat these steps when creating recorded presentations. However, you will need to complete the tutorial for installing CaptureSpace Lite Desktop Application, which can be found here: http://uwmltc.org/?p=13287