This tutorial will show you how to record a video using your iPhone or iPad, although the screenshots may look slightly different on the iPad. You will also learn how to upload the video to YouTube, and copy the embed code for the video for use on the News or Content area of your D2L course site.
Before you begin, you must:
- Have access to an iPhone.
- Have a YouTube account. If you do not have a YouTube account, you can sign-up for one here: https://accounts.google.com/SignUp?service=youtube
- Be enrolled in your D2L course site as an [Instructor].
- You must have Safari brwser on your iPhone/iPad.
You may consider printing this tutorial and referencing it as you work. A printable PDF version of this tutorial can be found here:
- To see yourself in the view finder, tap the button on the top of the screen to use the front camera.
- Slide the button on the bottom of the screen to the video setting.
- When you are ready to record the video, click the red button at the bottom of the screen.
- When you have finished click the red button again to stop the recording.
- To view your video and send it to YouTube, return to the [Home] screen and tap the [Photos] application.
- To watch your video, tap the [Play] button.
- To upload your video to YouTube, tap the button on the bottom, left of the screen.
- If you have not already signed in to Youtube, enter the username and password for your YouTube account.
- Tap the [Sign In] button.
- Ensure that [Standard Definition] is selected.
- Enter a [Tag]. This could be the name of your course.
- Tap the [Unlisted] option. This will ensure that only this video can only be viewed by your students.
- Tap the [Education] option.
- Tap the [Publish] button.
- Go to https://www.youtube.com/ and click the [Option] button (looks like 3 dots).
Step #14 – OPTIONAL
- If you have not already signed in to your YouTube account, click [Sign in].
- Once signed in, click [Videos] in your account.
- Find the video you just uploaded and click the title.
Step #15 – OPTIONAL
- Enter your Gmail email address.
- Click [Next].
On the next screen, enter your password and click [Sign in]. Once you return to the Home page, click on the [Options] button (looks like 3 dots). See Step #13 for help.
- Click the [Videos] tab.
- You’ll see your uploaded video. Click the video you’d like to embed into your D2Lcourse site.
Below your video you’ll see a list of options.
- Click the [Share] button at the bottom of your video.
- Click the [Embed] button.
You may also click the [Show More] button and UNCHECK the box in front of [Show suggested videos when the video finishes].
- To select the embed code, click inside the embed code text box and hold to bring up the options box.
- Select the [Select All] option.
Once the YouTube embed code is copied to your clipboard, you can paste the code into a Content item in D2L using the instructions below:
- IMPORTANT: Using Safari as your browser, login to D2L at http://d2l.uwm.edu/.
Step #23 – OPTIONAL
- If you are using an iPhone, you may see the mobile verison of D2L. To switch, scroll to the bottom of the mobile version and click [Desktop Version].
Once you enter the desktop version of D2L, navigate to the course site you in which wish to embed your video.
Step #24 – OPTION 1 (News Announcement)
If you wish to add a Screen Recording to the NEWS AREA:
- Pull-down the News tab and select [New News Item].
Step #24 – OPTION 2 (Content Topic)
If you wish to add a Screen Recording to the CONTENT AREA:
- if you have already created the Module in which you’d like to place your screen recording, click [Table of Contents] Identify the Module title from the list of Modules.
- if you need to create a new Module in which you’ll place your screen recording, click [Add a module…]. Provide a title for the Module.
From your chosen Module:
- Pull down the menu under [New].
- Select [Create a File].
To paste the text you copied from YouTube in Step #21:
- Click and hold to bring up the options menu, select [Paste] from the options.
- When you are satisfied with your recording, click the [Next] button in the [Insert Stuff] window.
If you can’t see the [Next] button, you may need to [Zoom Out] of your browser. To do this, ON YOUR KEYBOARD, hold down the [Command] key (on a Mac) and the [Control] key (on a PC) and hit the minus (-) key.
Step #30 – NEWS ANNOUNCEMENT OPTION
If you are adding the screen recording to a NEWS ANNOUNCEMENT:
- Add a [Headline].
- Click [Publish].