This tutorial will show you how to upload and embed a video (or audio file) into a D2L Dropbox folder using the My Media tool.
You may consider printing this tutorial and referencing it as you work. A printable PDF version of this tutorial can be found here: https://db.tt/nFVWRGGL
Before you begin, you must:
- have STUDENT access to the My Media tool: If you do not see your course under the [MCStdnt] role (see Step #1 – Option #2), your instructor has not provided access to the tool.
- A video (or audio file) that you have created that is LESS THAN 2GB file size (For best results with video, it is recommend that you prepare the video at a resolution of 1280×720 using the H.264 video codec at about 4000 kbps).
- Have access to a supplementary "upload" file. You must attach a file in order to upload to the Dropbox. Your instructor should have assigned a specific file to upload. This may be the original video file you will uploaded to YouTube, or it could be a written analysis or critique of the video. If no "upload" file is assigned, contact your instructor.
Instructors should see the following tutorial on providing student access to the My Media Tool: http://uwmltc.org/?p=7860
Step #1 – Option #1 (preferred method)
- Log in to D2L (http://d2l.uwm.edu). Pull-down the [Select a course] menu, and select your course.
Step #1 – Option #2
- Log in to D2L (http://d2l.uwm.edu). If you choose to find your course under the [My Courses] list, click the [MCStdnt] button next to [Role:].
Once the YouTube embed code is copied to your clipboard, you can paste the code into a Dropbox folder in D2L using the instructions below:
- Login to D2L at http://d2l.uwm.edu/, enter your course site and click [Dropbox].
In order to submit to the Dropbox, you MUST attach a file. Ideally, your instructor will have assigned a specific file to upload. This may be the original video file you uploaded to YouTube, or it could be a written analysis or critique of the video.
- To attach a file to the Dropbox folder, click [Add a File].
- If you are uploading the file from your computer, click [My Computer].
- Click the [Upload] button.
Browse to the location on your computer where you have stored your file for upload. Select the file.
- To upload and embed your video, click the [Insert Stuff] button in the [Comments] area HTML editor.
- A new window will pop up. Click the button [My Media].
- To embed a video (or audio file) that you have ALREADY uploaded, identify the media from the list and click the title. Skip to Step #11.
- To upload a NEW video (or audio file), pull down the [Add New] menu and click [Media Upload]. Continue to Step #9.
- Click [Choose a File to Upload]. Browse to the location on your computer where you have saved your file and select the file.