This tutorial will show you how to embed a Kanopy video in your D2L course site.
Kanopy is an online video streaming service for educational institutions, including UWM Libraries. It distributes films from BBC, PBS, Media Education Foundation, Documentary Educational Resources, and many other production houses. As of 2014, Kanopy’s catalog of videos has grown to offer over 25,000 videos to seven million students and academics across the US, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, the Middle East, and Asia.
You can access Kanopy here: http://uwm.kanopystreaming.com/
You may consider printing this tutorial and referencing it as you work. A printable PDF version of this tutorial can be found here: https://db.tt/eIrSqAVu
Log into Kanopy (http://uwm.kanopystreaming.com.ezproxy.lib.uwm.edu/) and navigate to the video you’d like to embed in your D2L course site. Once you are are viewing a video, you can obtain the Embed Code by following these directions:
- Click the [Share/Embed] button at the bottom of your video.
- Click the [Embed] button.
- Click into the box with the embed code to highlight the text. Copy the text by hitting [CTRL+C] on your PC keyboard or [Command+C] on your Mac keyboard.
Once the YouTube embed code is copied to your clipboard, you can paste the code into a Content item in D2L using the instructions below:
- Login to D2L at http://d2l.uwm.edu/, enter your course site and click [Content].
Option #1 – if you have already created the Module in which you’d like to place your video, click [Table of Contents] Identify the Module title from the list of Modules.
Option #2 – if you need to create a new Module in which you’ll place your video, click [Add a module…]. Provide a title for the Module.
- Pull down the menu under [New].
- Select [Create a File].
- Provide a [Title] for your video.
- In the HTML editor, click the [Insert Stuff] button.
- Click the [Enter Embed Code] tab.
- Paste the text you copied from YouTube in Step #1 by hitting [CTRL+V] on your PC keyboard or [Command+V] on your Mac keyboard.
- The code will look something like this:
<iframe width=’640′ height=’390′ src=’http://uwm.kanopystreaming.com/embed/229139′ frameborder=’0′ allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen></iframe>
You’ll need to change the code slightly BEFORE clicking [Next].
- After the code that says src= paste the following: https://ezproxy.lib.uwm.edu/login?url=
- Remove the single quotation mark before http://uwm.kanopystreaming.com and after the video number embed/xxxxxx (Note: the numbers will be different than the example above).
- Add an s at the end of http.
You new code should look like this (again, the video number will be different than this example):
<iframe width=’640′ height=’390′ src=https://ezproxy.lib.uwm.edu/login?url=https://uwm.kanopystreaming.com/embed/229139 frameborder=’0′ allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen></iframe>
Once you are finished altering the code, click [Next].
You should see a preview of your video in the window.
If you see the preview:
- Click the [Insert] button.
If you DO NOT see the preview, move to Step #9 (Optional).
Step #9 (Optional)
If you do not see the video appear in the preview window, you may need to disable security settings.
- Click the shield icon in the address bar of your Firfox browser.
- Under [Option], click [Disable protection for now].
- Once you return to the [Create a File] window, select [Publish].
You should see your video in the window. You can test to make sure the video is embedded properly.