- D2L does NOT have a “sent mail” folder, so we recommend you also send yourself a copy!
- Email sent from D2L to a large number of recipients may NOT reach all recipients! D2L has a limit of 4100 characters in each of the email “to,” “cc,” and “bcc” fields. Typically, this limit includes between 100 and 200 recipients per message, dependent upon the length of the email addresses. WORKAROUND: Send your email to only one page of students at a time.
Emails with many recipients in the “to” field are likely to be caught in Spam filters and not be delivered. WORKAROUND: Send email with your OWN address in the “to” field, and recipients’ email addresses in the “bcc” field.
NOTE: As of January 2015, “bcc” is the DEFAULT field for recipients’ addresses in D2L emails. This facilitates delivery (avoiding spam filters), as well as allowing privacy when emailing from tools such as Dropbox, Quizzes, and Grades.
Emailing “Bcc” from the Classlist
NOTE: It is not possible to send to “To” in this method.
- Click on [Classlist] in the main navigation bar
- Check the box next to the student’s name or select the box at the top to select all the students in the course.
- Click on [Email] above the box that contains the user names. *The icon looks like an envelope with a blue star in the corner.*
4. In the popup “Compose New Message” window, type the subject of the email in the [Subject:] text box.
5. Type the body of your email in the [Message:] text box
6. OPTIONAL: Click [Browse] or [Choose File] to include a file as an attachment. (a. A second popup window will appear. b. Find the desired file and select by clicking on it. c. The second popup window will disappear.)
7. Click on [Send]
Using “To” field from the Classlist
In some situations, the instructor may wish to use the “to” field when emailing from the Classlist. Here’s how:
Through PantherList , you can create a class listserv. The advantage of a class listserv is that you can email your whole class using a single email address. This is very useful if you want to use your normal email client for emailing your class rather than sending from a less familiar tool. Here is a tutorial for creating a class listserv through PanthreList: http://www4.uwm.edu/pantherlist/pantherlist_owner_faqs.cfm#seven If you have questions about class listservs, please contact UITS at 229-4040 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Registrar’s Office supports PAWS. Here are instructions for emailing your entire class from the Class Roster in PAWS: https://www4.uwm.edu/faculty_staff/instructional_support/upload/paws_email_pantherlist.pdf You can get help with this process through this form: https://www4.uwm.edu/paws/help/