This tutorial will help PC users update Java in order for them to use the My Media Screen Recorder tool in D2L. Once updated, please see the tutorial for creating screen recordings using My Media.
Before you begin:
• You MUST use Mozilla Firefox as your browser.
• It is highly recommended that you update Firefox to the most recent version.
• If you do not have Firefox or if you do not have the current version, you can download it here: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/
This is a lengthy and fairly complicated tutorial, you may wish to print the PDF version located here: https://db.tt/MhT5itdZ
- Click the [Free Java Download] button.
- Click the [Agree and Start Free Download] button.
As the software downloads, if any other windows popup in the browser, ignore the prompts and exit the windows. Malware can inadvertently be installed if you blindly accept prompts during the installation of Java.
You may need to select [Save File] if prompted.
- Once downloaded, go to the download location.
- Click to run the .EXE file.
- Click the [Run] button once you receive the Security Warning.
Proceed through the installation. For your information, AT THE END OF THE INSTALLATION, you will close your Firefox browser and re-open it to verify the installation.
- On the [Welcome to Java] screen, click [Install].
- On the [Offer to install the Search App by Ask] screen, BE SURE TO UNCHECK [Set Ask as my default search provider] and [Set Ask.com as my browser home page and new tabs].
- Click [Next].
You MAY receive a message about [Out-of-Date Java versions Detected]. If you do not, move to Step #10.
- If you do, click the [Uninstall] button.
- Once you receive the [Uninstallation Complete] message, click the [Next] button.
- You MAY also receive a message to [Restore Java security prompts]. If so, leave the default settings and click [Next]. If not, go to Step #10.
- When you receive the [You have successfully installed Java] message, click the [Close] button.
When you return to the Java browser window, DO NOT CLICK THE [VERIFY JAVA VERSION] BUTTON!!
IMPORTANT!! At this point CLOSE THE FIREFOX BROWSER WINDOW to exit the program. RE-OPEN FIREFOX.
Once you have RE-OPENED Firefox:
- Check to make sure that Java is enabled in the browser by clicking on the [Firefox Menu].
- Select the [Add-ons] button.
- Click the [Plugins] button.
- Identify the [Java Platform] plugin. Ensure that [Always Activate] has been selected in the pull-down menu.
To verify that Java has been installed and activated, go to: http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp
- Check to make sure that you need to update Java, by clicking the [Do I have Java?] link.
- When you receive a message [Check to ensure that you have the recommended version of Java Installed fro your operating system], click the [Verify Java version] button.
- If prompted, click the [Activate Java Platform] button. If you do not receive this prompt, go to Step #19.
- Once you have clicked to [Activate Java Platform], you’ll receive a message in the top navigation bar in Firefox. Click the [Allow and Remember] when prompted to [Allow www.java.com to run].
- When the “Java Detection” application prompt appears, click the [Run] button.
Once Java Detection completes the verification, you should receive a “Congratulations” message.
If you receive a message “We are unable to verify if Java is currently installed and enabled in your browser” CLOSE THE FIREFOX BROWSER WINDOW to exit the program. RE-OPEN FIREFOX. Run Steps #10 through Steps #17 again.