This tutorial will show you how to embed a YouTube video in your D2L course site with a specific start and stop point.
You may consider printing this tutorial and referencing it as you work. A printable PDF version of this tutorial can be found here: https://db.tt/IkpyAdcY
Navigate to the YouTube video you’d like to embed in your D2L course site. Once you are are viewing a video, you can obtain the Embed Code by following these directions:
- Click the [Share] button at the bottom of your video.
- Click the [Embed] button.
- UNCHECK the box in front of [Show suggested videos when the video finishes].
- CHECK the box in front of [Use old embed code].
- Click into the box with the embed code to highlight the text. Copy the text by hitting [CTRL+C] on your PC keyboard or [Command+C] on your Mac keyboard.
Once the YouTube embed code is copied to your clipboard, you can paste the code into a Content item in D2L using the instructions below:
- Login to D2L at http://d2l.uwm.edu/, enter your course site and click [Content].
Option #1 – if you have already created the Module in which you’d like to place your video, click [Table of Contents] Identify the Module title from the list of Modules.
Option #2 – if you need to create a new Module in which you’ll place your video, click [Add a module…]. Provide a title for the Module.
- Pull down the menu under [New].
- Select [Create a File].
- Provide a [Title] for your video.
- In the HTML editor, click the [Insert Stuff] button.
- Click the [Enter Embed Code] tab.
- Paste the text you copied from YouTube in Step #1 by hitting [CTRL+V] on your PC keyboard or [Command+V] on your Mac keyboard.
Once your embed code has been pasted into the field, look for the question mark (?) after the YouTube URL. There will be two locations in the code.
Directly after the question mark, add the following text:
Replace XXX with the START time in seconds and replace YYY with the END time in seconds. For example, if you want the video to start playing at 2 minutes and 54 seconds and end at 3 minutes, your code will look like this:
IN ADDITION, make sure that the URL for the YouTube video is:
For example, the URL should look like this: https://www.youtube.com/embed/2R9tY_0AG94?start=174&end=180
- Click [Next].
- You will see a preview of your video in the window.
- Click the [Insert] button.
- Once you return to the [Create a File] window, select [Publish].
You should see your video in the window and it should start to play at the designated time when the play button is clicked. If you have any problems, check to make sure that the embed code was altered correctly and/or you have the correct start/end time in seconds.